8.24.2009

The Joy of Patent Surfing


I only recently discovered the amazing resource of Google Patents but have been having a great time perusing it since I did. Sometimes I find myself drifting by there (internet exploration, if figured as motion, is really a derive) for research purposes and end up totally embroiled, flipping from one patent to another. This happens of course because all of the patents are linked to one another through citation.
It's the images that are the most compelling! What a fascinating graphic lexicon is at work. Line drawings I am fairly familiar with, but these have such strange texture and shadowing techniques and the labels are totally bizarre. Even patent applications from 2009 look hand-drawn, with funny jagged lettering and loopy leaders.
Here's the one that I was looking at today that made me want to share this private form of entertainment. I frankly have little idea what is being described. I recommend not reading anything about the application until you've looked at all of the diagrams in series, it'll be more fun that way.

2 comments:

  1. haha wow. really does seem like it's either from another world or some sort of pythonic parody.

    ReplyDelete