12.11.2006

To Yet Find Sweetness Hence

A young man, upset with an unrequited love, decides rashly that he will destroy all of the yellow flowers in the field infront of his house. Anger coursing in his veins, he toils all day, clipping the heads off of the lovely yellow flowers, hoarding them in a pail at his side. As the sun begins to lower in the sky, and the horizon begins to ready itself to accept it, an old man, who has been watching all this time from the window of a neighbouring house, approaches.

"You are upset about an unrequited love?" he asks, his bristled brow furrowing knowingly. "Here, come with me; I have something to show you."

"What can it be?" the youth asks, as he rises from his contorted crouch.

"I see you have collected all these flowers." the old man says, gesturing to the pail. “You must learn to make dandelion wine!”

Bringing his pail along with him, the young man follows his guide home. The sun forms a drawn-out slit of ruddy gold against the horizon.

1 comment:

  1. Duncan,

    Dandelion wine... I've never had it myself, but it reminds me of the only time I came across it before. Where do I begin? Well, my Mother and step-Dad came back late one evening to find a high school classmate of mine finishing off the only bottle of dandelion wine in their house. My classmate was supposed to have left with all the other party people when we heard my parents getting back. So, my Mom was upset at me because she found out that I'd had another high school party. I always wondered since then if I was a naughty daughter at times.. Perhaps I should have invited her to my parties?

    Anna Rowe

    ReplyDelete